Partner, Philadelphia Office
One Penn Center, Suite 750
1617 JFK Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Gerard X. Smith is a partner in the Philadelphia office of Naulty, Scaricamazza & McDevitt, LLC and practices with the firm’s Insurance Defense Department. Jerry, who joined the firm in 1984, concentrates his practice in the following areas: construction, dram shop, insurance coverage, bad faith, labor employment, motor carrier, motor vehicle, premises liability, products liability and professional liability.
Jerry has over thirty years of experience representing self-insured and insured clients in the defense of civil litigation matters. He has extensive trial experience throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the State of New Jersey, and the Federal Court System. Jerry has also tried cases on a pro hac vice basis in Delaware. Currently, he serves as national counsel to self-insured clients in defense of litigated claims throughout the United States.
Jerry is a member of the Delaware County, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey Bar Associations. He is also a member of the Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel and the Defense Research Institute. Jerry is a frequent lecturer and author on a variety of liability issues, and has lectured at the Risk and Insurance Management Society Conference (“RIMS”) and before the National Restaurant Association. Each year from 2007-2011, Jerry has been selected to Super Lawyers magazine's "Pennsylvania Super Lawyers" listing.
Jerry earned his Bachelor of Science degree from the prestigious Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 1981, and received his Juris Doctorate from Widener University School of Law in 1984. He is admitted to practice law in the states of Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and before the U.S. District Courts for New Jersey and the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Pennsylvania as well as before the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
• Bachelor of Science, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, 1981
• Juris Doctorate, Widener University School of Law, 1984
• Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
• State of New Jersey
• United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
• U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
• U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
• U.S. District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania
• U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
• Defense Research Institute
• Delaware County Bar Association
• New Jersey Bar Association
• Pennsylvania Bar Association
• Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel
• Philadelphia Bar Association